Scarborough unveiled and Podders discovered

Time has come again for a little Pod adventure. Our map in the conservatory was starting to look a little uneven, that is the east and south east side was looking very flagless and bare, so after a small debate on where to start filling it in we decided to try and work our way down the coast, starting with Scarborough.

Neither of us have been there and after a little of the usual internet research it seemed to have everything we liked. The Yorkshire Moors nearby to discover, a beach to walk on and coastal villages to explore. We then had to decide on length of time and location and went for 4 nights at the Camping and Caravan Club site on the outskirts of Scarborough, it looked ideal, it was then booked and a done deal as a deposit is required, unlike the Caravan and Motorhome Club.

The day arrived and as we weren’t allowed on site till 1pm there wasn’t a rush for us to get up early and get out the door but we eventually left around 10.30 giving us a good 2 ½ hours to get there.

Weather was a bit none dis-script, the forecast for the east coast was overcast and cold whilst the west coast was sunshine and warmth, typical you might say but we’ve learnt its what you make of it and we were away in our ‘bubble’, bliss either way.

We skirted Leeds and went round York, traffic was pretty light and soon had Scarborough within our sights.

We hit the dual carriageway just outside of Scarborough and whilst nattering away LB just happened to look up and over the other side of the road to see something neither had ever seen on any of their trips away.. another GoPod, well, between the raised eyebrows, yelps, pointing and staring at the look of concern on MBs face she eventually managed to say ‘look a pod !’.

MB whipped his head round just in time to see it motoring along the road, LB fumbled with her phone and managed to grab a lopsided photo whilst yelling at MB to move his hand and stop waving, caught just in time, evidence was needed, who would believe us otherwise ? Once taken the image was checked and all was good, even managed to catch the lady driver in her pink hat waving back in return.

The rest of the journey was spent giggling and in mild shock and as we drove into the grounds of the site a few minutes after 1pm we thought that would be it and we would never see another one, unless at a future Powwow.

There were a few ‘vans in front of us but it didn’t take long to get everyone moving along. Our turn came and the warden on his bike asked if there was anywhere in particular we’d like to be. He explained the layout of the site and we decided on a sheltered part, not too far from the facilities, we thought his gesture was a nice touch, after all he could have taken us in any direction.

We picked a lovely pitch, bit strange too as they were hard standing but hidden under grass, once on there we couldn’t resist catching a picture as Pod always looks so small and unless you’ve seen inside one you wouldn’t believe how much of a tardis they were.

Pod was levelled, bed made up, awning erected and it soon looked like we’d been there for days. Time had come to have a mooch in the area so we decided to head into Scarborough but first checked out the bus route. Big fail, we’d of been able to get into Scarborough but the buses stopped running between 4 – 5pm and didn’t run on weekends, as we didn’t know how far it actually was the car came into play. Turns out it was only 10 minutes away in the car so any future treks into the town could be done with a good half hour or so walk.

Once into Scarborough’s northern bay we passed the railway and Peasholm Park and were soon driving along the seafront down the coast, the sea was all the way in and there weren’t too many people about so there was plenty of parking by the time we reached the southern part of the bay.

We walked past the colourful amusement park and along the front, sea to our left and arcades, kiss-me-quick hat shops and take-away outlets to our right. The smell of the sea drifting over the break wall mingling with the freshly cooked donuts and the musical sounds of the arcades is a childhood memory many have and we’re no different.

Only thing to spoil it was the incessant noise of the hundreds of seagulls and we haven’t exaggerate on the number, they had not only nested in the rock face looking out to sea but also any available building space along the front, this plus all their ‘deposits’ shall we say marred our experience a little.

As we slowly ambled along taking all this in we couldn’t help but notice an unusually modified mobile home parked up on a side street. We edged nearer and as it looked like nobody was home a quick picture was taken to peruse later. Not sure what caravan was used to create this masterpiece but it looked loved and lived in.

Once we passed the people on the donkey rides and others playing on the beach we walked up through the tiered garden towards Britains oldest surviving cliff tramway, in great conditions and had plenty of custom for only 90p one way.

After a mooch around the shops we eventually worked our way back down to the seafront and discovered that parking was free after 6pm, this probably accounted for the buses not running in the evening. We also couldn’t resist an ice-cream from Harbour Bar Ice-cream Parlour, huge, full of flavour and really good value for money, took a while but by the time we got back to the car there wasn’t much left.

Once back at Pod dinner was cooked, steak, stir-fry and pasta sauce was on the menu and it went down very well sat outside under the awning whilst watching other ‘vanners walk by as the stars came out on a clear moonlit night.

Showers were next on the menu and they didn’t disappoint. Some may say a little small and dated but they were spotlessly clean and by heck the showers were hot, powerful and were very welcome as the block didn’t seem to have heating.

Temperature had dropped some what so hot water bottles had already been strategically placed for optimum bottom warming and once back at Pod we were soon snuggled under the duvet and fast asleep within minutes.

Woke to a dry day but we weren’t convinced it would remain that way, after breakfast we made plans for a trip to Robin Hoods Bay, half an hours drive up the coast we soon found it and all without the satnav, very daring decision some may say.

Found a small carpark at the top of the Bay and once we paid the minimal fee we began our walk down the steep winding road towards the harbour. 

Some of the houses were built out of the rock face, others had narrow footpaths between their apposing neighbours doors, if they were to reach out from their doorsteps they could probably have given a warm handshake. Each had made the best use of the space on offer with some wonderful architecture to show for it.

The sea was in again, seemed we needed to improve our timing if we were ever to get onto a beach. Right on the harbour front was the Old Coastguard Visitors Centre, it was free, so in we went. Small but plenty to read and many activities for the kids to enjoy, some adults too..

Once we left the centre we wound our way through the village, taking unexpected turns along ever decreasing stone paved paths where each building seemed to tower over us as the paths became narrower. Most appeared to be holiday lets but would like to think some were owned and lived in by the locals.

Lunch time arrived and after a steep walk back up we stopped just short of the car at the Fish Box and tucked into fishcake, pie and chips, delicious.

Next stop was Whitby, few more miles up the coast we went and once off the main road we turned in the direction of the Abbey. Up the hill we went and turned into the carpark at the foot of the Abbey and found the first available space.

A rye grin then came over MBs face as he pointed to the other side of the carpark and said ‘look’. Well, who would have thought it possible, never mind in a carpark.. another Pod ! Unattended but hitched/locked to a car, it was definitely a GoPod, a newish one too by the looks of the unmarked shiny hitch.

It was quite funny watching people strolling over for a look and to take pictures, made us wonder what happened around our Pod when we weren’t on the site. Of course we had to join the crowd and grabbed a picture for ourselves, that all important evidence 😉 .

Paid a few pounds for the parking and again to enter the Abbey grounds and the exhibition/shop. 

 Rain made an appearance along with the occasional gust of a biting wind. We took shelter in the ruins and wandered between the tall limestone arches and pillars reading the display posts as we went along. The rain did its best to get in the way of taking photographs but with a little jiggery-pokery they didn’t turn out too bad. If the rain had stayed off and it had been a clear day the views over Whitby and out to sea would have been incredible.

By the time we made it back to our car, the visiting pod, its car and owners had gone, so we didn’t get the chance to say hello and if it hadn’t been for grabbing a photo we doubt anyone would have believed we’d seen it, not everyday you see a pod at all, never mind in an Abbey car park.

Back down the hill we went and found a car park not far from the pier. Once wrapped up we headed for the pier and on the way we saw the RNLI museum so had to call in. In here we learnt about HMS Rohilla which had been a hospital ship and in 1941 struck Whitby Rock, after two days she eventually sunk killing 85 people.

Next stop was the pier, the sea was in, again and with the high winds it managed to breach the wall and surprise a few passing people with a bit of a soaking, needless to say we had our eyes peeled but enjoyed the braising walk up to the end of the pier. Once there we turned and the view was amazing, all of Whitby could be seen with the Abbey off in the distance, it must have been an incredible sight in its day.

Time came to head back to Pod and once there the new multi cooker came out to play. Because one of us a pescatarian and the other a carnivore cooking the same meal can be slightly tricky, but so far we’ve adapted well but felt like bringing a new dimension to it, hence the multi cooker.

The base was filled with chicken thighs, new potatoes, various veg and all smothered in a herb sauce, then a tray was placed over this and for the last 20 minutes sea bass wrapped in foil slowly steam cooked away. Turned out incredibly well but need to keep looking for one pot meals than can be varied a little to cater for both of our tastes.

Bed beckoned and once snuggled in bed watching the next days weather report, which looked promising, we decided to spend the day exploring the northern part of Scarborough and to walk in to make the most of the area.

We slept well, funny thing being we always seem to sleep better in Pod, maybe on this occasion it was all that wonderful fresh air that blew in from the coast.

Thankfully we woke to a dry day and once breakfast was out of the way we set off up the road into Scarborough, first we passed the railway deciding to call in on it on the way back, first port of call was Peasholm Park. We’d heard some wonderful stories about it and couldn’t wait to explore.

As we entered the park we did a left and walked towards the main part of the lake. As the path circled the lake we passed pedalos but were disappointed to see they were only available at weekends, we continued round to see the waterfall cascading down one section of the island. The bridge over to the island and its Oriental Garden and Pagoda wasn’t open so yet again it looked like we would miss the park at its best.

We continued on and passed the bandstand which was situated in the middle of the lake, this looked a little sorry for itself as it was encased in bird droppings and seagulls with their young were everywhere.

Our walk then took us through the gardens, these were lovely and so well maintained. Many different species of plants and trees surrounded the well marked pathway. We passed someone with his remote control boat on one of the smaller ponds and we soon found ourselves at the Lilly Pond, the whole walk had been very peaceful and because of the surrounding tall trees the air within the park remained still and none of the noise from the roads that circled the park penetrated its tranquility.

At the Lilly Pond we turned and on the way out we passed very friendly squirrels who it seemed had become accustomed to being hand fed, as we completed our route we discovered we had done a complete circle of the park and although we were disappointed to not see it at the hight of its popularity, including the ship battles, we thoroughly enjoyed it and it went a good way to recharging our batteries. Point of note for us was to return in the summer season to see the park in all its glory.

Once we left the park we could see the sea not too far away and walked up to the breaker wall collecting an ice cream on the way. We couldn’t make our mind up if the sea was on its way in or out, but either way it was a powerful beast battering the defences that surround the bay.

We could here the toot toot of the train coming from the miniature railway and within a few minutes we were at the train station looking at the times for the next available trip, the next wasn’t due for 15 minutes so we walked on through to discover the open air concert stage.

It look great, ideal for those intimate performances, everyone, those stood and those seated would have had a birds-eye view of whom ever was on the stage, definitely one to keep an eye out for.

Strolled back to the station and bought our return tickets for our journey which was 7/8th of a mile, we couldn’t resist a huge tub of sugar loaded sweets for the journey out and hopefully back.

We soon took our seats on Neptune and in total, including us there were 5 people on board, brilliant. Off we went, toot tooting as we went along and within 10 minutes we had reached Scalby Mills. We could have stayed on and returned but after speaking to the conductor he suggested a few pints at the pub up the hill, who were we to refuse such good helpful advice.

Off we went and after passing the sealife centre we found the pub called ‘Old Scalby Mills’. A couple of pints of Boon Doggle and Thwaites later we wound our way back to the train platform to await our train.

Few minutes later the toot toot could be heard off in the distance and it didn’t take long for it to wind its way along the track, round the corner and into our line of sight.

Neptune unhitched itself and was soon on the turntable doing a full circle to be joined at the other end of the carriages. This time we decided to film our journey and used Facebook live to do the task. We sat at the front, right behind the driver and waved at all and sundry as we moved along the track. For those who wish to see this endeavour you can find it on our Facebook page 2B’s in a Pod, we had a right giggle and we’re convinced the ale enjoyed in the pub added to our jolly demeanour.

We’d had a grand time discovering another part of Scarborough and our half an hour walk soon brought us back to the site, it was great to see Pod waiting for us, we soon had the kettle on, feet up and chilled chatting about our wonderful day and all the giggles we’d had along the way.

Night time came around again and we had our last day ahead of us, where had the days gone and why does a week of work never go this fast. Never the less, a search of the area was done and Flamborough Head was on the cards for the next day.

Another wonderful deep nights nights sleep was had and we woke to another dry day, we may not have had the sunshine of the west coast but it was dry and we counted our blessings on this.

Flamborough Head was a half hour drive down the coast, looked like it was going to remain dry so only warm clothes needed.

Soon drove through the small village and discovered a large carpark and café, 2£ to park for the day so we made ourselves welcome, we clocked the toilet block on the other side too, always handy to know.

A footpath went both left and right along the coast but the first place we had to see was the cove below us, the sea was out for the first time so after passing a rather dilapidated tractor who we didn’t feel too sorry for because he got to spend the rest of his days with a glorious view down the bay and out to sea, many would pay a fair penny for the view.

After walking past a few boats decked out in fishing gear we soon had our feet on the soft, fine sand. The only thing to have made a mark before us was a second tractor who had moved a boat out to sea, to be fair this tractor looked like it might be joining its partner in crime soon as we were amazed how it managed to move at all, as it was incased in rust, salt and sand.

The caves then came into view and once beneath them you could see the wear and tear the sea had caused, nearly said damaged, but its not, nature will have its way and whether ‘we’ are at fault as well, that’s another story.

We hopped over the rocks and wandered between the small rock pools and eventually found ourselves near the arch that showed you the way out of the bay, walking under the arch brought us out to even more caves that seemed to line the entire coast as far as our eyes could sea, the temptation to continue and explore was real but as we weren’t sure if the tide was on its way in or out we thought it best to make for the beach.

Back up on the main path we decided to continue down the coast and try and make for the Lighthouse, the path was easy enough to follow and at one point we entered a nature reserve.

Now the path we took was along the coast, little hairy in places and not for anyone who has a thing about heights, fortunately the wind wasn’t very high so we felt quite secure, we could image though if a gust of wind came along some may struggle, for those still wanting to do the walk there was also a path that cuts out most of the rock face.

Seagulls, Gannets and Oystercatchers were in abundance, the noise carried way down the coast and followed us all the way to the Lighthouse, Puffins are also supposed to be in the area but on this occasion we didn’t catch sight of one and yet to be seen by either of us.

Passing the golf course on our right we soon reached the Lighthouse but before having a look round we decided it was time for lunch, just something light we said, a sandwich we said, no. Well that was what was asked for but what was put in front of us was much greater and very delicious too. One had huge chunks of chicken rammed in the roll and the tuna melt ciabatta was scrumptious, this on top of chips went down very well.

After numerous cups of fresh tea we eventually managed to pull ourselves out of the chairs and walk towards the Lighthouse, views from its point were wonderful and as the day was clearing the views extended some way up and down the coast, only thing to be seen were seabirds darting in and out of the bays and their many hidden caves and alcoves.

Our walk back took us the same route and we noticed that the sea was on its way in, bashing against the rocks and forcing its way into the now half sunken dark caves.

Our day wasn’t over yet and on the way back, after being prompted by a follower, we decided to call in at Reighton Sands, we eventually found a small carpark near a static caravan site and took the steep concrete path down to the sea.

We found ourselves on a large pebble beach and as the sea was on its way in this was the only part we could see, from the many great reports we’d been given we knew this couldn’t be it, so after climbing up and over a small ledge we were met with a fabulous sight, yes the sea was in but you could clearly see the huge expanse of a protected sandy beach, how wonderful.

We sat a while and took it all in, our last day was nearly at an end and at this point the clouds cleared from around us and the sun came beaming down, perfect.

The sun remained out all the way back to Pod and allowed us to enjoy our last evening in the awning, beer in hand, with feet up as the sun slowly set and this wasn’t long after taken over by the moon in a clear starlit night.

Morning arrived way too soon but the time had come to pack up, we’d had a great time and had many a giggle along the way. Discovered a part of the east coast neither of us had visited before and beautiful memories had been made, that’s what it’s ultimately all about, isn’t it ?..


About 2B's in Pod

Just a bit of fun for two people who love exploring the UK until retirement in a few years.. then Europe, here we come. For us, it doesn't matter how you make the journey, just enjoy making memories.
This entry was posted in Accessories, Architecture, Awning, Bridges, Caravan, Caravanning, Castles, Church, Glamping, Photography, Scarborough, Sight seeing, Stately home, Travel, Traveling, Uncategorized, Walking, Yorkshire. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s